How do you leave home instruction so they can be translated

I have written home instructions (stove, breakers, etc) but thinking towards international guest who may not speak english how do you make home instructions available so they can be translated. They are kind of long for the communication on the app. Do you email them? or do you just not worry about that?.

I have done videos of how to use appliances and complicated items like that. They are just simple videos of me narrating and showing the buttons to push or dials to turn. Then, before the exchange, I send them a link to a hosting place like Dropbox so they can watch the videos.

I am in America, so I speak in English. If they have any questions during the exchange, of course we answer them.

2 Likes

I leave a document in the house with tips on how things work around the place, but I also send the digital version of it to our guests beforehand. That way, if they need to translate something, they can just put the document on some automatic translating tool.

For appliances that need a bit more instructions, I take a picture of their buttons and label them (in English) on the document:

Screen Shot 2024-07-27 at 17.27.31

In general, I try to also physically label as many things as possible in the house, like detergents or spices:

I hope it makes it easier for the guests! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello,

we wrote a google document, which is around 24 pages and includes all info and pictures about the house and suggested tips for restaurants and trips or attractions and also the link to a google maps layer.

You can export PDF files from the google document. And you can translate the whole file with a table of content etc in any language with two clicks. We are sending a PDF file beforehand, in the original language and the guest language if relevant.

I sometimes leave a printed version of this PDF file for the guests.

1 Like

We leave hard copies and email so non native language speakers can use Google translate

Works a treat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great idea

1 Like